Punk and MJF Go 38m | AEW Dynamite In-ring Statistics | February 2nd.
MJF and CM Punk's long running feud came to a head in Punk's hometown of Chicago. It has become a joke over the last few years, how WWE chooses to bury hometown talent, choosing diminishing heat over utilising a swell of support. AEW has gone in the opposite direction, especially since the return of crowds. Therefore making this aberration all the more poignant.
In-ring Statistics notes:
- Punk almost hits 100 strikes on MJF, compared to MJF's 27. CM Punk's strike rate was 3.5x that of MJF.
- Punk also out did MJF in terms of grapples, dives and strikedowns.
- MJF's use of submissions shines through as his major tactic. Alternatively, it's his main way of developing heat with the Punk-partisan crowd.
- MJF's pin attempts communicate's the characters desperation to get out with the win.
- MJF's foul use is noteworthy but the large number probably doesn't come with too much surprise.
Flow of Offence notes:
- Punk's offensive advantage is really emphasised by the Cumulative Flow of Offence graphic.
- In defeat, Punk achieved the three biggest offensive minutes of the match.
- The flow of the action really decreases as the match goes on, particularly after the huge 17th minute spike.
Comparison for Context notes:
- MJF's use of strikes is unusually low, dwarfed by other competitors.
- MJF and Punk used a comparatively high rate of grapples.
- Punk's dive rate really emphasises his hometown exuberance.
- This match's reversal rate was significantly down compared to the other matches used for comparison.
- MJF's foul rate is peerless in this company pictured above.
Other matches from Dynamite:
- Jon Moxley vs Wheeler Yuta
- Pac/Penta vs Kings of the Black Throne
- Ruby Soho vs Nyla Rose