Check out the Wrestling with Statistics Pod via Hit the Books on Monday. Essentially the companion podcast to this article!
Another Dynamite emanating from Jacksonville, Florida. This week's show was headlined by AEW World Championship number 1 contender, Brodie Lee as he took on longtime Dark Order detractor, Christopher Daniels.
In-ring Statistics Focus - Strikedown Rate
A strikedown or knockdown is any striking move that causes the opponent to drop to the mat.
Last week's focus found that strike rate has a negative correlation with a positive win/loss record. Therefore, this week's focus looks at the relationship between win/loss records and the more impactful strikes that occur in the wrestling ring, 'strikedowns'.
- The correlation between higher strikedown rates and higher win/loss records is a positive one.
- Archer is far and away the most prolific user of strikedowns with more than double everyone else.
- Win/loss record leaders, Cody and Moxley, have relatively average strikedown rates.
- A cluster of wrestlers, MJF, Spears and Allin, boast high win/loss records with limited strikedown rates.
Adding in women's wrestlers sees little change in the positive correlation between strikedown rate and match wins. The correlation is slightly flatter.
AEW Wrestling League - Overall Standings
League tables are formed by the sum of a wrestler's win/loss records. Plus one point for a win and minus one point for a loss. When wrestlers are tied, we then look at form over their previous five matches then total wins.
- 109 wrestlers for the year, 2020.
- Kenny Omega draws level with Sammy Guevara as the iron man of AEW with 15 matches in 2020.
- Chuckie T and Trent finally draw level at 7-7 for 2020.
AEW Wrestling League - Male Singles Division
Dark - Colt Cabana defeated Shawn Dean.
Dark - 10 defeated Jon Cruz.
Dark - Rey Fenix defeated Alan Angels.
Dark - Orange Cassidy defeated Jason Cade.
Dark - Jimmy Havoc defeated Luther.
Dynamite - MJF defeated Lee Johnson.
Dynamite - Chris Jericho defeated Suge D.
Dynamite - Brodie Lee defeated Christopher Daniels.
- Brodie Lee is up 2 positions into =3rd. Daniels falls a massive 25 places to 46th.
- Chris Jericho is now 1-1 and is now in 22nd position.
- MJF, now 4-0, is up to =5th.
Female Singles Division
Dark - Kris Statlander defeated Dani Jordyn.
Dark - Britt Baker defeated Skyler More.
Dynamite - Hikaru Shida defeated Penelope Ford, Kris Statlander and Britt Baker.
- Shida moves 3 wins ahead of Nyla Rose once again.
- Baker and Ford sink to +/-0 records and Statlander sinks to -1.
Male Tag Division
Dark - Jungle Express defeated Mike Reed/Ryan Rembrandt.
Dark - Private Party defeated Lee Johnson/Musa.
Dynamite - Best Friends defeated Jungle Express.
- Best Friends are in pole position for a title shot in the future if they maintain this form.
- Best Friends are far and away the tag team workhorses of AEW.
- An up and down week for Jungle Express.
Male Overall and Female Overall Standings
Available as distinct divisions here:
Follow Pro Wrestling Musings on Twitter here.
Thank you for reading! Subscribe to the mailing list to be notified for next week's League Standings update!
Wrestling with Statistics podcast via Hit the Books will expand of these issues. Available on Monday. This is essentially a companion article for the podcast.